The position of Classroom Support Staff is a unique opportunity for professionals interested in a career in Education, Behavior Support, Speech Language Pathology, Occupational Therapy, Psych or related field to gain meaningful hands-on experience. The school day is 9am-2:30pm and staff are expected to be onsite from 8:30am-3:30pm. Materials, curriculum, and training are provided by Open Mind School and leading professionals. You’ll need to confidently implement a positive behavior support plans to help students with movement and regulation. This can be a life-changing experience for someone who is committed, passionate, open minded and has a drive to make a profound impact in the life of a student at our nonprofit. Start date: immediately.
Compensation: Based on experience and fit
- Follow a Student Learning Overview and education plan including positive behavior support plans.
- Keep the student motivated and engaged.
- Provide support during group times, small group, and individual instruction. We will have art therapists, music therapist, social facilitators, foreign language teachers and yoga/movement, etc·
- Under the direction of the lead educator you might be responsible for planning, preparing, and implementing lesson plans.
- Support the classroom teacher in daily instruction.
- Help student follow safe and appropriate toileting routines. You may need to help with wiping after bowel movements and changing clothes.
- Be on time at the beginning of school and when returning from breaks.
- Control the amount of language used in the classroom, limit cross talk with co-workers (this is verbal clutter and very disorganizing for students and the environment).
- Attend team meetings.
- Separate your personal life from your professional life.
- Assist with providing regular, ongoing, positive communication with parents, including but not limited to, daily or weekly written and verbal reports.
- Direct questions from parents as needed to the school director.
- Support the classroom teacher in maintaining classroom structure and organization.
- Administrative tasks as assigned.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Dress comfortable but professional.
- Have fun and be creative!
Skills & Qualifications:
- Requirements include a background check, current physical clearance, a negative TB test, and police records check.
- Classroom support staff must possess excellent leadership, interpersonal and time management skills, proficiency with writing and communication, good problem-solving skills, and must work well in teams.
- An open mind to many methodologies and teaching strategies is required.
- Minimum of an undergrad degree and preference for graduate degree in progress or completed.
- Affiliation with a groundbreaking startup
- Opportunity to positively impact the lives of students and their families in an inclusive setting
- Job growth opportunities